The Parish Church of St Symphorian, Durrington
from 13th Century to the modern day
in ten milestones
By 1677 the Chapel was declared unusfull for the performing of Divine Service having been in decay for some time, and that the Ruines thereof was chiefly occasioned by souldjers of the late warrs. Despite attempts to repair the Chapel, it was eventually agreed that the people of Durrington be allowed to worship, baptise and bury at Tarring Church. On 24th January 1680, with the agreement of both parishes, the then Dean of Chichester, Dr. Thomas Briggs, took steps to unite the Chapelry to Tarring Church. Records show that the Chapel was still occasionally used for many years.