The Parish Church of St Symphorian, Durrington
from 13th Century to the modern day
in ten milestones
In 1890, the Rev. Canon Henry Bailey, Rector of Tarring, erected a small Mission Room at his own expense and left it upon trust to the inhabitants of Durrington for the performance of Divine Service. It was built adjoining the east wall of the ruined Chapel and afternoon services were held every Sunday at 3.30pm and Holy Communion at 8am on the last Sunday of the month. Towards the latter part of the 19th Century, thoughts turned to restoring the Chapel and the funds began to be raised. Unfortunately the fundraising came to an end when the Rev. Dr. Springett, Rector of Tarring and the person leading the fund raising effort, was moved to Brixton in 1898.